Using a bus when you visit the Lake District gives you the opportunity to see so much more. Take the top deck of an open top bus or brave one of our passes on a small rambler service. Our interactive map plots the bus routes in the county showing their service number, the route they will take and what you can see along the way, so why not give it a go.
A series of new bus services are underway including:
• ‘Discover Hadrian’s Wall’ bus tour. Until10th September on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays departing Tullie House Museum, five hour tour including Lanercost, Birdoswald, Vindolanda and Housesteads. Also a Saturday tour which is timed to meet arrivals on the Settle Carlisle line. Operated by Open Book Visitor Guiding.
• New one-day whistle-stop ‘Best of the Lakes’ bus tour picking up from Windermere station, combining the Langdales, Wastwater, Hardnose and Wrynose Passes, and Ullswater (run by Mountain Goat).
• The open top 508 bus between Penrith and Ullswater is now running, offering unrivalled views of the lake.
• Mountain Goat are running the Cross Lakes Experience bus and boat service to Tarn Hows and Wray Castle and the new Best of the Lakes tour.
• Additional afternoon journeys journeys on the 77/77A Honister Rambler. Operated by Stagecoach giving access to Pooley Bridge, Aira Force and Glenridding, Cat Bells, Borrowdale, Honister, Buttermere and Whinlatter.
For more information or to download information see the 'Explore by Bus' section.