Self-catering with 5 units £100-£500 pupn sleeps 2-12
CT QUALITY CHARTER
- Stanley Street
- LA12 7BS
Tel: 07718 926 423
Skegness, United Kingdom
09 September 2016
“Very disappointed with the condition of the accomo”
I am quite saddened to have to write this review because it seems at odds with other reviews for the same or neighbouring properties. We rented Laurel Court 1 for 3 nights from 25 August 2016. It was described in literature as “Luxury Cottage located close to the town centre, ideal base for exploring the local area and attractions.”
I rented the cottage for myself, my wife, our daughter, son in law and their 15-month old daughter and our son and his partner. We were attending a family wedding at St. Mary’s Church, Ulverston, which is within walking distance of Laurel Court. Pre-visit communications with the owner, Grace, were excellent and she was very helpful. So we very much looked forward to our visit.
Unfortunately, we soon discovered that the cottage did not live up to its promises. I am sure that when first commissioned, the cottage was excellent but it has been so poorly maintained over time that it is no longer appropriate to describe it as ‘luxury’. In fact, in many ways it has become downright shabby.
Four of our party are landlords themselves, so are fully aware of the regulations surrounding let properties. Each of us would have been ashamed to have let a property in the same condition as Laurel Court 1.
I will briefly list some of the misgivings:
• The living room carpets are unclean and may now be beyond even a deep clean. Other carpets throughout the cottage have seen better days. The master suite carpet had chewing gum stuck to it.
• The washing machine had broken and we found it impossible to open the washer door, let alone try to solve the problem. This was a major problem for us as we had a toddler in our party and expected to have a least one clothes wash during our stay.
• The knobs on the oven were broken making the cooking facilities difficult to use.
• Dead light bulbs throughout the property had not been replaced. Two of the three downlighters in the master suite bathroom were inoperative. The mirror light was inoperative as was the extractor fan. None of the bedside lamps worked. Two downlighters in the living room were inoperative.
• One of the light fixtures on the master suite headboard had broken and was hanging dangerously by its cord. There was a hole in the centre of the headboard with exposed wires behind.
• The upper smoke alarm had broken and had been disconnected. This is an extremely serious defect and could endanger lives. There was also no evidence of any carbon monoxide detectors. In such a poorly maintained property with a gas boiler, that is quite worrying.
• The master suite and second bedrooms had a portable clothes rail rather than a wardrobe. This was a nice idea except that the clothes rails have become so flimsy that they collapsed when we hung our clothes on them.
• Window blinds have been left in a broken state throughout the property. One window covering in the master suite was a piece of black cloth more suited to a doss-house!
• The safety rail on the upper bunk bed had broken and was in a dangerous condition.
• Tiling in the downstairs toilet had been removed and left in an unfinished state.
I am sure that the property could be returned to its former splendour with a programme of re-fitting and maintenance. In its current state, it offers poor value for money.
I forwarded this review to Grace on 31st August to give her the opportunity to respond to my review. I am quite disgusted that she did not have the courtesy to reply.