Blawith - Subberthwaite Common - Blawith
1 - 2 hours
Subberthwaite Common and the Blawith Fells lie at the southwest tip of Coniston Water. Most people tend to ignore this quiet corner of Lakeland and speed on by to the greater heights of the nearby Coniston Fells. This is a pity as this attractive area of low fells and moorland is laced with interesting bridleways. The modest heights encountered in these parts make for leisurely mountain biking - the greatest altitude reached on the bridleway is 160m on the side of Woodland Fell. Nevertheless, plenty of entertaining riding can be had, particularly the lane to Kiln Bank and the descent across the side of Woodland Fell.
1. From the A5084 at Blawith take the minor road opposite the church and follow it W for 800m to a junction. Take the R fork (metalled) and follow it N then W for another 800m until a private road at Appletree Holme. Do not take the private road: continue past it a few metres to the start of a bridleway on the L, around the back of the rock outcrop.
2. Take the bridleway and follow it W as it climbs to join a lane, which then leads to a ford. After the ford the bridleway breaks out onto open fellside. It should be followed as it climbs first W then NW for 800m to round a low col overlooking the Woodland Valley. From the col the bridleway swings W
and gives a good descent through a couple of bends and then by a beck to a bridge at Green Moor. Ignore the bridge and take the rough bridleway that climbs S for 800m after which it levels and then descends to the SW (metalled) to join a road.
3. At the road turn R and follow it for a short distance to a junction. Go straight across the junction (L) and follow the road S for 1.6km to another junction. Take the L fork as it climbs steeply E around a long bend to the start of a bridleway at a sharp bend (500m).
4. Continue E along the bridleway to a junction on Subberthwaite Common.
Take the road NE to Birch Bank. From Birch Bank follow the bridleway around the back of the farm and head E across pasture and join the lane to Kiln Bank. At Kiln Bank follow the bridleway past the farm buildings and join Long Lane, which after 400m joins Raisthwaite Lane at a crossroads. Turn L and follow Raisthwaite Lane NE back to Blawith.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 96, OS Outdoors Leisure 6|
|Refreshments:||Queens Head Hotel at Hawkshead|
- Subberthwaite Common
- Start point: SD 303975 (near Coniston)