Viewed from the west Grasmoor looks like a simple pyramidal peak but this is deceiving. Behind its giant west face it's a complex range of deep cut gills and valleys ringed by high crags and fine grassy ridges. Exploring this fine mountain is a delight with different views and secretive corners to be uncovered at every turn. This walk gains the main ridge of the range via a steady ascent up the outrider Rannerdale Knotts and over the subsidiary peaks of Whiteless Pike and Wandope - then after topping out on Grasmoor it returns by descent into the depths of Gasgale Gill from where you can spy the impressive rocks of Dove Crag and Gasgale Crags.
1. From the centre of Cockermouth travel to Buttermere (grid ref NY 159 207). The walk starts from a car park.
2. From the car park at Lanthwaite head south along the road to Hause Point. Leave the road and pick up the footpath and climb it steeply east to the summit of Rannerdale Knotts.
3. Head southeast along the crest to the col below Whiteless Breast. At the col turn left and climb northeast to Whiteless Breast then north to Whiteless Pike.
4. From Whiteless Pike the exposed but easy Whiteless Edge is followed northeast to the rounded summit of Wandope.
5. The angle relents considerably after Wandope. To gain Grasmoor it is simply a matter of heading northwest then west across the broad grassy col. The col and the summit plateau are featureless and ringed by crags so in poor visibility you should constantly check your bearings.
6. From the summit of Grasmoor back-track east across the summit plateau then descend northeast down the grassy gill to Coledale Hause. From Coledale Hause turn left and descend west down the narrowing Gasgale Gill path to join the road at Lanthwaite.
|Time/Effort:||4 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||1030metres (3,379feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 89, OS Outdoor Leisure 4|
- Start point: NY 122307 (near Cockermouth)