Staveley - Kentmere - Staveley
3 - 4 hours
This tour takes in both sides of the Kentmere valley and makes a detour to the top of Stile End Pass to overlook Longsleddale. Although not strictly within the boundary of Kentmere, this detour gives access to the high and secluded moorland of the Green Quarter and provides an excellent descent past Skeggles Water and then along Hall Lane.
Start / End: Staveley, map ref: SD 471 983
1. From Staveley follow the Kentmere valley road North West up the valley to Ullthwaite Bridge - turn left and follow the bridleway over the bridge. After the bridge follow the bridleway as it swings round to the North West and then starts to climb along a stony lane. After 400m the lane splits. Take the left fork and follow the lane as it opens out onto the fell side and continues North West. Climbing for 1.5km the bridleway crosses Black Beck then Park Beck to a junction with a bridleway.
2. Join the bridleway and follow it North then East alongside the wall. The bridleway then swings North to give a good descent to Kentmere Hall. From Kentmere Hall take the lane East to Kentmere village.
3. From the church, head East then South along the valley road and cross Low Bridge.
Turn sharp left and climb the road to Green Quarter. Turn right and follow the track as it steadily climbs past Stile End and works its way to the top of the pass. Continue along the track as it makes a steep, rocky descent into Longsleddale. After 600m turn right and cross a beck to pick up a bridleway.
4. Follow the bridleway alongside the wall as it climbs South and then South West onto rough open moorland. The bridleway is vague across the moorland and reaches a high point after 1.5km overlooking Skeggles Water and Cocklaw Fell. From the high point descend South West for 1km to a fork - take the left branch. Head South along the gradually improving bridleway for 2.5km to Park House and join Hall Lane.
5. Follow Hall Lane South for 800m to a bridleway. Turn right onto the bridleway and follow it down to Hall Beck and then onto a bridge. Cross the bridge and follow the Lane W through Elf Howe and then South West to the valley which is then followed South East back to Staveley.
|Time/Effort:||3 out of 5|
|Navigation:||4 out of 5|
|Technicality:||4 out of 5|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90 & 97, OS Outdoor Leisure 7|
- Kentmere and Green Quarter
- Start point: SD 469986 (near Staveley)