3 - 4 hours
The Allerdale Ramble is a long distance walking route which explores the northwest corner of Cumbria. It starts off in the heart of the Lake District Fells in Borrowdale then heads north with options to either climb or bypass Skiddaw. It then turns west and heads for Cockermouth and on towards the coast taking in Maryport and finishing at Grune Point on the Solway Estuary.
This short loop takes in two of the Allerdale Ramble route options along the beautiful course of the River Derwent just to the east of Cockermouth. The walking is relatively easy with just a brief climb up the lofty flanks of Watch Hill. However there is room for confusion crossing the various lanes and fields on the second half of the walk so familiarity with a map and compass is essential.
1. From the Market Place turn left, then right into Castlegate, pass the Castle and head out along Castlegate Drive. 300m past Cockermouth School there is a bridleway on the left (sign for Isel Bridge). Join the bridleway and follow it as it climbs first to the crest of Watch Hill and then as it skirts the trees of Hills Wood to join a road.
2. Turn right onto the road and follow it for 150m to a junction. Turn left and follow the road to cross the River Derwent at Isel Bridge. At the junction on the other side turn left, and follow the road past Kirk Hill for 900m to a junction near Isel Hall. Ignore the right turn and continue for 1km along the road to the start of a path on the left.
3. Follow the path (sign for Redmain) first through trees, across a beck and then up through pasture to join a road. Turn right onto the road and follow it into Redmain. Through Redmain join the lane on the left for Redmain Lodge. After the lodge follow the path (Allerdale Ramble) past some cottages and then through pasture to join the A595.
4. Turn left along the A595 and follow it for 700m to a path (Allerdale Ramble) on the left. This is followed south southwest for 1.9km back to Cockermouth.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||1 out of 5|
|Technicality:||1 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||330metres (1,083feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 89, OS Outdoor Leisure 4|
- Start point: (near Cockermouth)