Visit Ravenglass & Eskdale
about Eskdale and Ravenglass:
• The green fields and woodlands of the valley of Eskdale, complete with the sparkling thread of the river Esk, penetrate deep into the central Lakeland fells.
• The only exit is via the Hardknott Pass- a tortuous zigzag of switchback bends and steep inclines that is not for the faint-hearted.
• In the heart of this lovely valley is the small village of Boot, home to a working corn mill, three real-ale pubs and a micro-brewery.
• At the coastal end lies Ravenglass where three rivers meet (Esk, Irt, and Mite) to form an estuary and natural harbour.
• A former Roman port and fishing town where ships once docked, Ravenglass is now better known as a terminus for the Ravenglass & Eskdale steam railway or La'al Ratty.
• A little inland stands Muncaster Castle, ancient family seat of the Pennington family.
• Nearby is Waberthwaite, famous for Richard Woodall's hams, bacons and Cumberland Sausage that are regularly despatched to the Queen.
Why not check out
our local itenieraries
put together by
|Mon 30 Mar||Literature course: Shelley and Mary Shelley at Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth Museum|
|Fri 3 - Mon 6 Apr||Squirrel Nutkin's Easter Egg Trail at Allan Bank|
|Fri 3 - Thu 16 Apr||Teddies go Free at Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway|