Visit Ravenglass & Eskdale
about Eskdale and Ravenglass:
• The green fields and woodlands of the valley of Eskdale, complete with the sparkling thread of the river Esk, penetrate deep into the central Lakeland fells.
• The only exit is via the Hardknott Pass- a tortuous zigzag of switchback bends and steep inclines that is not for the faint-hearted.
• In the heart of this lovely valley is the small village of Boot, home to a working corn mill, three real-ale pubs and a micro-brewery.
• At the coastal end lies Ravenglass where three rivers meet (Esk, Irt, and Mite) to form an estuary and natural harbour.
• A former Roman port and fishing town where ships once docked, Ravenglass is now better known as a terminus for the Ravenglass & Eskdale steam railway or La'al Ratty.
• A little inland stands Muncaster Castle, ancient family seat of the Pennington family.
• Nearby is Waberthwaite, famous for Richard Woodall's hams, bacons and Cumberland Sausage that are regularly despatched to the Queen.
Why not check out
our local itenieraries
put together by
|Sat 10 - Sun 11 Oct||Intermediate Navigation Course at More Than Mountains|
|Sun 11 Oct||Sky Ride: Cycle ride from Hawkshead at Hawkshead|
|Tue 20 Oct||The Wordsworths, Abolition and Black History at Dove Cottage and the Wordsworth Museum|