6 - 7 hours
Set high above the craggy depths of Kentmere and the more pastoral landscape of Troutbeck, the long ridge line of Yoke, Ill Bell and Froswick forms the western arm of the Kentmere Horse Shoe. The classic way to do these fells is by doing the round of the horseshoe but if you don't fancy a full-on day then doing this half is just as rewarding and means you have the other half saved up to do on another day. After doing Froswick it's easy to return to the start by dropping down the bridleway (Roman Road) into Hagg Gill, but whilst you're on the ridge (if it's clear) it's well worth covering the extra distance to High Street, it doesn't involve much of a height gain and the ground underfoot is relatively gentle. From its summit you get a whole different set of views and if you are lucky you might even get sight of some of the ponies that graze its plateau like summit.
1. From the A592 follow the bridleway through the camp site at Limefitt Park and round the back of the main buildings to a junction of bridleways on the fellside above. At the junction turn right and follow the bridleway south for 500m to another junction. Turn left and join Garburn Road (bridleway/track) and follow it as it climbs steadily north east, past the junction with Dubbs Road (bridleway), to the broad col at the top of Garburn Pass.
2. From the top of the pass pick up the path on the left that climbs north towards Yoke. The ridge is rounded and indistinct to start with but soon becomes more defined as the summit of Yoke is approached.
3. From Yoke the path north along the main ridge is followed first over Ill Bell then over Froswick. Both summits are set in lofty positions with excellent all round views and are both worth spending a little time at.
4. After Froswick the ridge swings north west and is descended to a narrow col, ignore this col and instead continue along the path which swings back to the north and climbs to another slightly higher col on which is the junction with the High Street bridleway.
5. You can return to the start at Troutbeck via this bridleway which is followed south west then south down through Hagg Gill or you can continue north then north west to the summit plateau of High Street and then retrace your steps and then make the return descent. The walk out and back to High Street from the junction is 4.5km.
|Time/Effort:||3 out of 5|
|Navigation:||4 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||902metres (2,959feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Explorer OL 7|
- Start point: SD 411985 (near Troutbeck)