6 - 7 hours
Borrowdale is quite a complex valley its head is split into a series of off-shoots like the branches of a tree. All very different in character, these sub-valleys are interesting places to explore and can conveniently be used as thoroughfares for accessing the higher fells. Langstrath and Watendlath make a particularly good pairing and can be combined with a high level walk over High Raise and Ullscarf. These fine peaks offer walking over rolling fells with wide ranging views over almost all the central fells including Helvellyn, Skiddaw and the Scafell massif.
1. From Rosthwaite cross Stonethwaite Beck and follow the steep bridleway North East up the fellside towards Watendlath. The bridleway tops out on a broad col overlooking Watendlath Tarn. Make the short descent North East to cross the bridge and enter the group of buildings and car park. There is a pleasant tea room at Watendlath that is well worth visiting.
2. From the side of the car park join the Blea Tarn bridleway and follow it as it climbs a series of steep zig-zags East. At the top of the zig-zags it swings South, with fine views of Watendlath, and eases slightly to make a South East trending climb to Blea Tarn.
3. Continue South East past the tarn and keep on climbing to gain the broad col on the main ridge just North of Standing Crag.
4. From the col head South up the main ridge to pass the rocks of Standing Crag on the left. Above Standing Crag the rounded crest of the main ridge turns South West then South again and is followed to the summit of Ullscarf.
5. Head South then South West from Ullscarf to the col of Greenup Edge. To reach High Raise continue South West across the col and make the climb to Low White Stones from where the summit lies a short 500m South South West.
6. Retrace your steps to the col at Greenup Edge and join the bridleway that descends North North West down Greenup Gill, passing Lining Crag on route.
7. At the bottom of Greenup Gill the bridleway joins the Langstrath bridleway which is followed North West on the East side of Stonethwaite Beck back to the bridge at Rosthwaite. Cross the bridge and return to the start in the village.
|Time/Effort:||3 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||916metres (3,005feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Explorer OL 4|
- Start point: (near Rosthwaite)