Windermere & Bowness
Windermere is the perfect Lakeland destination all year round. With the shores of the lake so close, you are never short of fantastic scenery or leisure activities. Several local viewpoints offer panoramic views of both the lake and more distant mountains.
Access to the lake is actually made 1 mile further from Windermere town centre at Bowness-On-Windermere.
Guest House with 5 rooms, £33-£38 pppnb, £85 prpnb
Self-catering with 1 unit, £365-£530 pupw sleeps 2
Guest Accommodation - Room Only with 4 rooms, £30 pppn
Self-catering with 1 unit, £395-£625 pupw sleeps 1-4
Guest House with 7 rooms, £90-£145 prpnb
Guest House with 12 rooms, £84-£150 prpnb
Guest House with 8 rooms, £79-£159 prpnb
Guest House with 4 rooms, £70-£95 prpnb
Guest House with 7 rooms, £35-£55 pppnb, £65-£115 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 10 rooms, £84-£184 prpnb
Guest House with 3 rooms, £85-£112 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 14 rooms, £72-£125 pppnb
Guest House with 6 rooms, £40-£53 pppn, £60-£100 prpn
Bed & Breakfast with 8 rooms, £40-£140 prpn
Self-catering with 4 units, £260-£950 pupw sleeps 2-5
Guest House with 6 rooms, £38-£54 pppnb
Guest House with 11 rooms, £115-£280 prpnb
Guest House with 9 rooms, £66-£224 prpnb
Guest House with 6 rooms, £35-£69 pppnb
Guest House with 6 rooms, £33-£50 pppnb
Guest House with 6 rooms, £30-£37 pppnb, £80-£105 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 6 rooms, £38-£46 pppnb, £66-£126 prpnb
Guest House with 10 rooms, £50-£119 prpnb
Guest House with 9 rooms, £25-£70 pppnb
Sat 24 Sep 2016 - Sun 29 Jan 2017
There are a variety of events taking place in and around the Windermere area. From arts and culture exhibitions to shore-side music events, check out what is on during your visit and browse the events of most interest to you.
At the southern end of Lake Windermere adjoining the River Leven, Newby Bridge is a small village, with a selection of hotels and B&B's. It got its name from the five-arched stone bridge built across the river in 1651. The famous Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway connects you to Haverthwaite on a 3.5 mile jounrney, also is the Lakes Aquarium to visit at Lakeside.
This 17km-long lake (The largest in England) is fed by the rivers Brathay and Rothay at its northern end and outflows into the River Leven at its southern end. The lake holds the largest population of goldeneye ducks in the Lake District and is also noted for a species of fish called Windermere Char - a ‘relic' fish from the last Ice Age, traditionally ‘potted' into dishes and eaten as a local delicacy.
Bowness-on-Windermere is one of the most popular holiday locations in the Lake District. With immediate access to the waters of Windermere, it is an excellent base for water activities, including boating and leisurely water attractions. As well as boat hire or family watersports. From the lake shoreline visitors can experience the lake by lake steamer or open-top bus.
There are 14 islands in the lake, the largest of which is Belle Isle (formerly known as Longholme). In 1250 it was the seat of the Lord of the Manor and a Royalist stronghold during the Civil War.
In 1774 an unusual circular house was erected on the island, which was sold (along with the island) to the wealthy Curwen family who renamed the island after their daughter, Isabella.
The lake has long been used as a highway for the transport of stone, minerals, charcoal and woollen cloth. A ferry service has operated across the narrowest point of the lake (Bowness to Ferry House on the western shore) since the 15th century.
The earliest craft were large rowing boats that carried people and animals, with passengers expected to help with the rowing. In 1870 the first ferry to run on underwater cables was introduced; a 20 minute service now provided by the modern Mallard ferry.
By the 19th century, wealthy businessmen from the urban areas began to regard the Lakes as a haven of scenic tranquility, acquiring grand country retreats. Belsfield (now a hotel) was bought by the iron magnate, Henry William Schneider, in 1869 as a commuter home (he built a jetty at the bottom of the garden so he could sail to Lakeside in his steamboat, Esperance).
Storrs Hall was acquired by John Bolton in 1806 on proceeds from the slave trade. Brockhole, built in the late 1880s by Henry Gaddum, a wealthy silk merchant from Manchester, became a convalescent home before opening as the National Park Visitor Centre in 1969.
And lastly, Blackwell, an architectural gem from the Arts and Crafts era, was commissioned by Sir Edward Holt, a wealthy brewer from Manchester.
St Martin's Church
Built in 1483, this is one of the earliest surviving churches in Cumbria. Its spacious interior with hand-painted biblical texts on the walls and roof beams immediately captures attention. The magnificent east window contains remnants of stained glass from Cartmel Priory (brought here after the Dissolution of the Monasteries) and is believed to be among the oldest surviving traces of stained glass in Britain.
Step into the world of Beatrix Potter in this 17th century farmhouse, which provided the inspiration for 13 of her books including The Tale of Tom Kitten and The Tale of Jemima Puddleduck. It remains much the same as when she lived here, with many of her paintings, furniture and china on view.
The short walk to Orrest Head is well worth the uphill effort, for at the top is an outstanding panoramic view of the lake and surrounding mountains. There are a number of ways of getting to the top all passing through Elleray Woods, noted for its varied bird and insect life (booklet available from the Tourist Information Centre in Windermere).
The gardens at Brockhole, stretching down to the shores of Windermere, were laid out by Thomas Mawson, the internationally acclaimed landscape gardener from Windermere. A wide variety of interesting trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants can be seen against the dramatic backdrop of the lake.
The Dales Way
This 17-acre hillside garden, managed by the Lakeland Horticultural Society since 1971, has been transformed from an abandoned rock garden into a ‘garden for all seasons', with specimen trees, a walled garden with herbaceous borders and displays of alpine plants.