Add in the colourfully rendered houses, cobbled streets and inviting side alleys and there's enough of interest to keep you enthralled for days. Surrounding the town is the gently rolling farmland of the Furness Peninsula while the coastline provides beautiful vistas over Morecambe Bay.
Bed & Breakfast with 3 rooms, £70-£90 prpnb
Guest House with 3 rooms, £36-£55 pppnb
Self-catering with 1 unit, £360-£1000 pupw sleeps 6-7
Self-catering with 1 unit, £245-£575 pupw sleeps 1-6
Self-catering with 5 units, £80-£500 pupn sleeps 1-12
Self-catering with 1 unit, £250-£540 pupw sleeps 2-6
Self-catering with 1 unit, £310-£550 pupw sleeps 1-4
Self-catering with 1 unit, £390-£685 pupw sleeps 1-4
Self-catering with 2 units, £299-£475 pupw sleeps 1-2
Holiday, Touring & Camping Park with 20 pitches, £16-£18 ptpn
Ulverston is well known for its markets and festivals that take place every year. Along with the events happening at the Coronation Hall, sports events and Dickensian Festival, there is definitely something to keep you entertained.
This is a small village just outside of Ulverston. This little village is the birthplace of the Quaker movement.
Newby Bridge is located at the foot of Lake Windermere and offers magnificent views into the heart of the Lake District. Spanning the River Leven, the bridge itself is a lovingly crafted crossing made from local stone.
The extensive broadleaved woodlands of the Rusland Valley have not always presented the tranquil scene they do today. Leven and Crake valleys acted as conduits for the transport of goods and materials and at their confluence is Greenodd.
Early settlers occupied the limestone outcrops of Birkrigg Common and around Urswick and many finds have been unearthed dating back to Bronze and Iron Age times. Originally, much of the Furness Peninsula was covered with trees which were gradually felled over the centuries to create the patchwork of fields, farms and pockets of woodland that exists today.
After the Norman Conquest, Henry I granted the western forests of Furness and the whole of Walney Island to Stephen of Blois, crowned king of England in 113, and the eastern section to William le Fleming. William's son, Michael, inherited the land in 1167 which was thereafter known as the Manor of Muchland (or Michael's land).
By the 19th century, Ulverston was a thriving commercial port, exporting cotton from Ellers Mill, slate from Burlington Quarries, iron from its foundries, limestone from Stainton and leather from its numerous tanneries (there is still a Leather Lane in Ulverston). Other industries included brick making, paper manufacture and brewing beer. The malty aroma from Hartley's Brewery emanated over the town for one hundred years, but ended in 1991 after the brewery was taken over by Robinsons. Although production moved to Stockport, many local pubs still retain the Hartley's name.
Ulverston was granted a market charter in 1280 by Edward I. Shortly afterwards, the Scots began raiding large parts of northern England in response to the king's attempts to quell Scotland and bring it under English rule. Large areas of Furness were devastated by the attacks, which prompted the building of several fortified buildings as defence.
It was after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1537 that Ulverston came to prominence as a market town, whilst Dalton declined in importance. The fast-flowing Gillbanks Beck (now culverted under the town) provided water power for mills making cotton, paper, candles and other commodities. Goods including local iron ore and slates were taken by packhorse to loading bays at Ulverston, Bardsea and Baycliffe - a slow and laborious means of conveyance that was soon to be replaced by water transport.
Bill Cubin, the founder of the museum, devoted his life to these world-famous comedians and collected an amazing treasure trove of memorabilia, including letters, photographs, personal items and furniture. Small 1920s style cinema showing classic Laurel & Hardy films all day.
The Coronation Hall
Built to commemorate the coronation of George V in June 1911 and affectionately known as ‘The Coro', this treasured building with a seating capacity of 660 offers a year-round programme of entertainment from music and drama to ballet and opera.
Built around 1325 by Sir John de Harrington as a defence against Scottish raids but only occupied for around 100 years. By the 16thC the castle, then in a ruinous state, belonged to Henry Grey and his daughter, Lady Jane Grey, who were both executed in 1554 for treason. The castle is now part of a working farm and on private land, but can be viewed from the road.
Buddhist Temple and historic mansion set in 70 acres of woodlands and gardens that provides a place of spiritual rest and reflection for thousands of visitors each year, and home to one of the largest Buddhist communities in Europe. The original Conishead Priory was founded by Augustinian monks in 1160 as a hospital for the poor. The kitchen garden is now the site of the Kadampa World Peace Temple - a golden Temple that symbolises the purity of Buddha, and used daily for meditation and prayers.
Sir John Barrow Monument
Prominent memorial on the top of Hoad Hill that announces your imminent arrival in Ulverston. The tower was modelled on an earlier version of the Eddystone Lighthouse and built in 1850 in honour of Sir John Barrow, naval explorer and Secretary to the Admiralty. The uphill climb is well rewarded by breathtaking views over Morecambe Bay and the Lake District Fells.