Inn with 11 rooms, £100-£170 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 10 rooms, £82-£97 pppnb, £99-£163 prpnb
Self-catering with 2 units, £335-£632 pupw sleeps 2-5
Guest House with 6 rooms, £35-£45 pppnb
Bed & Breakfast with 5 rooms, £70-£114 prpnb
Bed & Breakfast with 2 rooms, £90 prpn
Bed & Breakfast with 5 rooms, £45-£48 pppnb, £100-£110 prpnb
Self-catering with 1 unit, £370-£440 pupw sleeps 1-2
Self-catering with 3 units, £450-£600 pupw sleeps 1-6
Individual Caravan with 2 units, £250-£300 pupw sleeps 1-6
Self-catering with 2 units, £365-£745 pupw sleeps 2-4
Guest House with 7 rooms, £46-£140 prpnb
Self-catering with 3 units, £45-£680 pupw sleeps 1-5
Guest Accommodation with 4 rooms, £26-£50 pppnb
Hotel with 28 rooms, £80-£158 prpnb
Hotel with 84 rooms, £75 pppn
Bed & Breakfast with 3 rooms, £85-£110 prpnb
Self-catering with 1 unit, £420-£595 pupw sleeps 1-5
Self-catering with 1 unit, £510-£780 pupw sleeps 2-6
Bed & Breakfast with 3 rooms, £60-£110 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 15 rooms, £150-£320 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 6 rooms, £75-£110 prpnb
Country House Hotel with 12 rooms, £145-£185 prpnb
Farmhouse with 3 rooms, £40-£43 pppnb
There are a variety of events taking place in and around the Penrith area. From arts and culture exhibitions to discovering the rolling hills and quiet country lanes of Eden by bike, check out what is on during your visit and browse the events of most interest to you.
The attractive village of Kirkoswald is host to a fascinating church, ruined castle and cobbled market square.
The drovers' village of Langwathby is situated east of Penrith and is an idyllic village containing a large central green, a pub, farmhouses and cottages.
Lazonby lays claim to the largest auction mart for grey-faced mules in the country.
Little Salkeld is home to a fully working corn mill and has one of the largest stone circles in the UK on its doorstep.
A small village south of Penrith containing many historic houses and inns. Historically, the village was used by travellers as a crossing point of the River Eamont.
Richard, Duke of Gloucester was given the Lordship of Penrith by his brother, Edward IV, and spent much time at Penrith Castle, adding a large banqueting hall, kitchens and other buildings.
Rowcliffe Lane, a street hardly noticed by people today, was once at the industrial heart of Penrith. Although only 8 feet wide in places, it was filled with tailors, coopers, saddlers, rope-makers and whitesmiths in the 17th century. Wagons and coaches would regularly travel up and down the narrow thoroughfare, and some signs of its industrial past are still evident today.
The Musgrave family owned Musgrave Hall on Middlegate (now occupied by the British Legion) - their coat of arms can be seen on the lintel over the doorway. A clock tower was erected in the centre of Penrith in memory of their eldest son, Philip, who died in Madrid in 1859 at the age of 26.
William Wordsworth and his sister, Dorothy, attended school in St Andrew's Place, and it was here that he first met Mary Hutchinson, his future wife. Wordsworth's grandparents owned the Moot Hall where his mother died in 1778. The Moot Hall was demolished in the 1830s and replaced by Arnison's drapery shop.
There are a series of interesting themed trails around Penrith town centre, including the Richard III trial which looks at the town's associations with the man himself. Leaflets available from the Tourist Information Centre.
Penrith Castle has an impressive history. In 1399, William Strickland, added a stone wall to the pele tower as a defence against the Scottish raids. The castle was added to over the next 70 years, eventually becoming the royal fortress of the Duke of Gloucester in 1483 before he became King Richard III.
The 300-year old Robinson's School, now the Penrith Museum, is named after its founder, William Robinson, a wealthy grocer who made his fortune in London. Today, the building is used as a museum and Tourist Information Centre with displays on the history, archaeology and geology of the area.
Beacon Hill provides a dramatic wooded backdrop to the town of Penrith. On the summit stands Beacon Pike, a stone tower dating back to 1719 that marks the spot where bonfires were lit during times of conflict to spread the word quickly to other parts of the county.
King Arthur's Round Table
A smaller henge approximately 400 metres away, dating back to around 2000 BC. A flat central platform is surrounded by a circular ditch and an earth bank.
Built next to the Roman fort of Brocavum, on the banks of the river Eamont, the castle became a medieval stronghold designed to repel invasion by the Scots. It was restored in the 1650s. Within 100 years the castle was stripped and left in ruins. It is now under the protection of English Heritage who permit access to parts of the castle.