Self-catering with 7 units, £230-£600 pupw sleeps 1-7
Farmhouse with 3 rooms, £80-£120 prpnb
Bed & Breakfast with 2 rooms, £42-£45 pppnb
Country House Hotel with 30 rooms, £70-£200 prpnb
Bed & Breakfast with 1 room, £70-£80 prpnb
Guest Accommodation with 7 rooms, £125-£350 prpnb
Self-catering with 4 units, £635-£1965 pupw sleeps 1-10
Guest Accommodation with 9 rooms, £35-£115 prpnb
Self-catering with 4 units, £280-£710 pupw sleeps 1-6
Self-catering with 4 units, £595-£7250 pupw sleeps 1-22
The village of Orton stretches languidly in all directions but never loses sight of its focal centre, where several roads and footpaths converge. Here on the second Saturday of every month is one of the best farmers' market in northwest England with a huge array of local produce, complemented by a fine artisan chocolate factory and a traditional village shop.
Kirkby Stephen, an ancient market town at the head of the Eden Valley, possesses an air of historical intrigue. A fine church and busy market square lie at its heart. Narrow, twisting passageways await exploration and underground passages once provided refuge during Scottish raids and to smuggle in beer to the ale-houses to avoid paying taxes.
The double-ringed Oddendale Stone Circle and other prehistoric cairns can be found on the limestone plateau to the south-west of Crosby Ravensworth, as well as evidence of Iron Age settlements. At Ewe Close there are traces of a Romano-British settlement - one of the finest in northwest England - comprising a series of hut circles and enclosure walls.
During the 9th century, Viking settlers arrived in the Eden Valley and probably established the first homestead near Bongate in Appleby and at many other places along the Eden and its tributaries. The Normans recognised the advantages of overlooking an important river crossing at Appleby and built the defensive stone keep of Appleby Castle on a high vantage point.
The Clifford family took over the castle in the 13th century and held it for the next 400 years. Extensive renovations were made in the 17th century by Lady Anne Clifford in 1651. After her death, the castle passed to the Earl of Thanet who re-faced the building. The castle is still open for tours, weddings, functions and conferences.
Appleby is an ancient royal borough and was the county town of Westmorland until government boundary reorganisations in 1974 swept away the old counties of Cumberland, Westmorland and parts of Lancashire to create Cumbria. Its high status is evident in the elegant uphill sweep of its tree-lined main street (Boroughgate) from the Norman church of St Lawrence at the bottom to the defensive Norman castle at the top. In places are narrow defensive lanes called ‘wiends' that could be closed off in times of danger.
Appleby developed early as a market town to sell produce from the surrounding rural area. The strong tradition of milk, butter and cheese production led to the establishment of the Appleby Express Creamery in 1931. The bull tethering ring, which can still be seen between Low Cross and the Moot Hall, was last used in 1812. Further along, the old County Gaol incarcerated prisoners for various misdeeds. Prisoners were made to work for their keep by grinding malt for the brewery and pumping water. A treadmill was uncovered here by Channel 4's Time Team in 2003. Gallows Hill (now known as Fair Hill) was the site for public hangings, the last being in 1829.
Appleby Town Trail & Historic Guide to Appleby
These informative guides to the historic features of the town are available from the Tourist Information Centre.
St Lawrence's Church
The parish church of Appleby was founded shortly after the castle. Although badly damaged by the Scots in 1388, the church was rebuilt by Lady Anne Clifford in the mid-17th century. When she died in 1676 her coffin was laid in a vault near to a handsome monument to the Clifford family lineage. Adjacent is a magnificent marble memorial to her mother Margaret, Countess of Cumberland.
St Anne's Hospital almshouses
Midway up Boroughgate is a picturesque courtyard of almshouses built by Lady Anne Clifford in 1651 to house poor Appleby widows. Although the houses are still occupied, the courtyard and chapel may be visited during the day.
A small gallery and coffee shop in a secluded courtyard off Boroughgate with changing exhibitions of original paintings, etchings, ceramics and jewellery by northern based artists.
Although the present building dates from 1838, it is thought there has been a mill here since the 13th century, probably supplying ground corn to the castle.
A horticultural haven that contains the largest collection of culinary and medicinal plants in the north of England and a traditional orchard with many regional varieties of apple, pear and damson trees.