heritage of ennerdale...
St Michael's Church, Lamplugh (NY 088 208)
The name ‘Lamplugh' is of Celtic origin and thought to mean ‘holy place', possibly referring to the prominent mound at the north end of the village on which now stands a 19th-century church. Nothing remains of the original thatched chapel but the graveyard is likely to be of great antiquity. A crusader's tombstone can be seen to the left of the War Memorial.
St Mary's Grotto, Cleator (NY 019 141)
The Catholic church of St Mary was founded in 1853 to serve the fast-growing community of iron ore miners at Cleator Moor. During the depression years of the 1920s, the local parish priest organised the building of a shrine in the church grounds to provide work for unemployed miners. It was intended to be a replica of the grotto at Lourdes, but soon became a site of pilgrimage in its own right, with many stories of miracle cures. Processions take place in May, September and December every year.