Bridge House, Ambleside centre
This much photographed tiny house on a bridge over Stock Beck was built as an apple store in 1723. It is one of the few buildings in Cumbria to have retained its original wrestler slates on the roof ridge. In 1926, local subscribers bought Bridge House and handed it to the National Trust, who own the property today.
Galava Roman Fort, Near Waterhead
The Romans built a fort here in AD 120, on a raised platform to avoid flooding from the rivers Rothay and Brathay. Before being abandoned by the Romans shortly before AD400. On site there are interpretation panels provide information on how the fort would have looked and operated.
St Mary's Parish Church
Designed by Sir Gilbert Scott and consecrated in 1854. The erection of the spire caused much consternation at the time as it was thought to be too ostentatious. The Wordsworth Chapel was built as a memorial to the poet who had recently died in 1850.
The centrepiece of this church is the magnificent stained-glass window designed by Edward Burne-Jones in 1873 with help from William Morris and Ford Madox Brown. It is said that Burne-Jones was working on the window alone, but invited his two friends (who were on a fishing holiday) to help him finish the work. The church was sited between the two townships of Troutbeck and Applethwaite to serve both populations, but all trace of the latter has virtually disappeared.
This yeoman's farmhouse, a fine example of Lake District vernacular architecture was the home of many generations of the Browne family from the early 17th Century until 1943. As the same family lived here for so many years, the house is very well preserved. Inside the oak pannelling and most of the ornately carved furniture and equipment were originally owned by the family. There is an admission charge to enter.
For centuries this was the home to the Le Fleming family who moved here from Coniston Hall, having grown wealthy on the proceeds of copper mining. It is now owned by the Diocese of Carlisle and used for retreats and conferences. The gardens were designed by Thomas Mawson, (an internationally renowned landscape gardener from Windermere) in 1909 and incorporate the earliest uses of precast concrete for the terracing, balustrades, steps, fountains and urns. The gardens are open to the public (donations towards the upkeep of the gardens are appreciated). There is also a tea room for refreshments.
William Wordsworth's home for 37 years until his death in 1850. He moved here in 1813 with his wife, 3 children (two had died the previous year), sister Dorothy and sister-in-law Sara Hutchinson and adapted the home to suit his lifestyle - adding another storey to accommodate his library. Some of his personal effects are on view including letters relating to his appointment as Poet Laureate. Outside, the four-acre fellside garden, landscaped by Wordsworth, was designed to blend in with the surrounding land and is virtually unchanged today.
Armitt Museum & Library
Combined museum, library and art gallery that explores the history of Ambleside and its surroundings from Roman times to the present day, with emphasis on literary and artistic connections. There are Roman and later artefacts, exquisite watercolours of fungi by Beatrix Potter, historic photographs of old Ambleside, paintings and collages by Kurt Schwitters (influential pioneer of Merz assemblage art), and an archive of over 10,000 local resource books. Regularly changing exhibitions of artwork. Hands-on activities include interactive computer screens, a children's ‘archaeological dig' and block printing.