Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
Search availability for Borrowdale Gates Hotel and book online
"the loveliest square mile in Lakeland" - Alfred Wainwright
The Borrowdale Gates is one of the most beautifully located hotels in the English Lake District.
Our country house hotel is the best-kept secret in the Borrowdale Valley, with log fires, wonderful Lakeland-inspired cooking and warm comfortable bedrooms updated in classic, modern style - a real home-from-home. Situated on the edge of the hamlet of Grange-in-Borrowdale.
Surrounded by first-class fellwalking country and set in two acres of peaceful, wooded grounds, our Victorian country house is close to the shores of Derwentwater. You can discover the many attractions on our doorstep, such as Keswick's celebrated Theatre by the Lake, Honister Slate Mine and the famous Derwent Pencil Museum.
This Lake District country house hotel has been lovingly refurbished and updated, blending modern comfort with homely charm and traditional craftsmanship.
Built 150 years ago by Margaret Heathcote, benefactress of Grange, every window is a picture frame for the beauty of the Borrowdale Valley. Our dining room looks onto a breathtaking panorama of green pastures where Herdwick sheep graze, up to the slopes of Castle Crag, High Spy, Grange Fell and distant Glaramara. It's a wonderful place to linger over dinner, before curling up with a brandy beside the log fire, lit when the temperature outside is cooler.
Rooms with a view are our speciality. The cosy bar and beamed lounge with its wood-burning stove looks onto our gardens and the valley beyond. Each bedroom has picture-perfect views to wake up to, whether dusted by wintry frost or glowing with sunshine. Catbells, home of Beatrix Potter's Mrs Tiggy-winkle, is our magnificent backdrop.
Our en-suite bedrooms are individually designed for a blissful night's sleep - crisp cotton sheets, feather pillows (unless you prefer a different kind), plenty of fluffy white towels to wrap yourself up in, and a tray of morning tea and coffee.
Recently refurbished in soft, restful colours and fabrics, our rooms make the most of the timeless Borrowdale Valley views from every window. Each has its own special character, from the classic simplicity of the Standard rooms, to the added luxuries of Deluxe and Superior, such as Egyptian cotton sheets, perhaps a deep corner bath or walk-in shower, or maybe a decked balcony or French doors opening onto the gardens. Whichever style of room you choose, the views of the valley and fells from each one will make your stay unforgettable.
Dining at Borrowdale Gates is a magical experience as you gaze out towards the soaring Lakeland fells.
Our menus celebrate the Lake District's glorious food heritage - contemporary, country house cooking with a lightness of touch that is wonderfully satisfying. Our head chef is constantly inspired by the wealth of produce on our doorstep, such as fell-bred Herdwick lamb, Waberthwaite cured ham and sausage (by Royal Appointment to The Queen), venison from the Holker Estate, Morecambe Bay scallops and shrimps, plenty of fresh, seasonal vegetables and tea and coffee from Farrer's, the Kendal merchants who roast the beans themselves.
Everything is carefully prepared by the talented kitchen team, from Cumberland breakfasts to an elegant dinner by candlelight with fine wines. Our reserve list presents a connoisseur's selection of old and new world wines that can be pre-ordered by the bottle from our vintners' cellars.
We welcome non-residents for dinner, from 18.30 to 20.30 (£41.00 per person) and Sunday lunch, from 12.00 to 13.30 (only £23.50 per person). Both meals include three courses with tea and coffee.
Whether for a special meal, a long weekend's fell-walking or a relaxing holiday, we look forward to seeing you very soon.
Children welcome from any age.
NY 251175 54.54719 -3.15937
Leave M6 jct 40 and follow A66 west into Keswick, then take the B5289 signposted "Borrowdale 4 miles", turn right over the double bridge into Grange, 1/4 mile through the village The Borrowdale Gates Hotel is located 1/4 mile on the right.
- Children welcome
- Tea/coffee making in bedrooms
- Licenced (table or bar)
- Packed lunches provided
- Special diets available
- Passenger lift
- Ironing facilities
- Travel agent bookings
- Snacks/afternoon tea
- Private parking
- Totally non-smoking
- Central heating
- Laundry facilities
- Electric shaver points
- Golf available (onsite or nearby)
- Restaurant open to non-residents
- Visa/Mastercard/Switch accepted
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- Vegetarian diet available
- WiFi or internet access
- Single sex groups NOT accepted
- Evening meals
- High chairs available
- Cots available
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Solid ie tarmac / concrete etc
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- One or more bedrooms
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Lift equipped with verbal floor announcements
- Lift equipped with raised floor numbers or braille numbers or letters
- Clear surfaces such as glass doors have contrast markings
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Wet room
- Separate shower unit with support handrails available
- Separate shower unit with fixed shower seat or shower chair available
- Bath with support handrails available
- Bedrooms available with en suite bathrooms suitable for guests who use a wheelchair
- Entrance well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free
- Proprietors/staff available 24-hours
- Emergency evacuation procedures for guests with disabilities