Search availability for High Ground and book online
|Book through GoLakes||MAY
Availability updated on 22 May 13 at 19:54
High Ground is a spectacularly located Arts and Crafts house designed by MH Baillie Scott (who also designed 'Blackwell' near Ambleside, now owned by the Lakeland Arts Trust) sitting in private grounds of just over an acre with wonderful views down the Borrowdale Valley and towards Derwentwater. The house sleeps up to 8 people in 4 bedrooms with 2 en-suite shower rooms and a family bathroom with cast iron slipper bath. A large flat lawn to the front rolls off into a natural oak copse with red squirrels and numerous woodland birds.
A glazed porch allows wonderful views across the grounds to the valley, fells and lake.
The oak front door leads into a slate flagged hallway with a built in settle giving somewhere to sit and remove boots. A short flight of stairs leads to the bedrooms.
The large living room has oak beams, an inglenook fireplace with wood-burning stove, built in settles, wood panelling and an oak floor, all adding to the atmosphere. There is a long window seat with glorious views towards the lake and the Borrowdale Valley.
A couple of steps leads down to the Dining Area with the original oak table and built in settle on 3 sides.
Each of the 4 bedrooms has a window seat and a slate fireplace and is en-suite to one of 2 wet rooms, lined with riven slate.
There is a large family bathroom with cast iron slipper bath, window seat and fireplace. Back stairs lead down into the fully fitted kitchen with all the things you would expect to find along with an Esse wood-burning range.
Please contact us for further details and ensure that you read our Terms and Conditions prior to placing a booking, these can be found on our website.
For further details see
Children welcome from any age.
- Building of historical interest
- Private parking
- Gay/lesbian friendly
- Single sex groups welcomed
- Dogs/pets accepted by arrangement
- WiFi or internet access
- Laundry facilities
- Linen provided
- Children welcome
- Microwave cooker
- Washing machine
- Ironing facilities
- Drying facilities
- DVD player
- Air conditioning
- Central heating
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from any age.
Self-assessed accessibility details
- Parking space provided
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Flat (i.e. without steps)
- Entrance is well lit
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Toilet and bathroom
- Outdoor facilities
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedrooms available with non-allergic bedding (ie non-feather pillows)
- Bathrooms available with:
- Separate shower unit
- Bath with shower
- Wet room
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
High Ground Details
- House sleeps up to 8
- 1 x twin, 2 x double, 1 x single + guest bed.
- Scenic view, Non-smoking unit, Bath, Shower
- Prices (per unit per week for normal occupancy)