Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
A family friendly ride from Windermere to Staveley on quiet roads with stunning views to the southern Lakeland Fells. In Staveley the workshops, galleries, brewery, plant nursery and eateries offer food for both eyes and appetite. Return along the car free route through Ings, or let the train take the strain on either the outward or returning journey (but note that Staveley train station is reached up two flights of steps.
1. From the train station turn left through Windermere village centre. Go straight ahead through the one-way system for 500m then turn left into Ellerthwaite Road (signed cycle route to Ings). Follow signs for cycle route Ings. Take the first left onto Holly Road, go straight on at the cross roads along Park Road and left into Lickbarrow Road.
2. Fork left after Matson Ground and turn left onto the B5284. Turn left after 300m onto a minor road ( signed cycle route to Ings). On the gated road take caution on downhill sections approaching gates.
3. Caution is also needed at Outrun Nook, the gate is located after a blind bend and straight on through Borwick Fold. For a short cut to Ings take the next left.
4. At the bottom of the descent turn left (footpath signs for Dales Way) and continue over hill, keeping straight ahead past New Hall Farm.
5. Turn left at cross roads to Staveley, past train station on the left, (possible return to Windermere by train; note that access to station has two flights of steps). In the centre of the village turn right onto Main Street and left in to the Mill Yard to explore shops, cafes and galleries.
6. Leave the Mill Yard, turning right onto Main Street. Turn right onto NCN6 (signed Windermere) immediately before the road joins the bypass. Continue on NCN 6 towards Windermere, crossing A591 with caution at Ings.
7. On approach to Windermere join main road with caution, turn left at roundabout then immediately Left to return to the station.