Windermere - Crook - Windermere
3 - 4 hours
The towns of Windermere and Bowness back onto a lovely little group of fells that extend east towards Staveley and Crook. None of the summits have a particularly memorable shape and only a few exceed the 250m contour. Regardless of their modest proportions, they are still probably the most viewed summits in the Lake District. This is due entirely to their proximity to the A591 which forms their northern boundary and carries most traffic into and out of the National Park. Amongst these fells are numerous hamlets and villages which are interlinked by lanes and bridleways. Some of the lanes have been adopted as roads but many still retain their original form as green lanes. Most of the route described is clear on the ground and is well signposted, but there are a number of sections through enclosed farmland - if you are unsure about the course of a right of way cross check against your map (it is worth having the larger scale 1:25 000 map with you for this purpose).
1. From Windermere railway station join the A591 (cycle lane) and follow it East for 2km to a turning on the right. Turn right onto the narrow road and follow it South over the railway bridge past Blackmoss to a fork. Take the right branch and continue South to a bend. Follow the road round the bend to a junction. Turn right and follow the road South East to a T-Junction. At the junction turn left and follow the road for 350m to Borwick Fold.
2. At Borwick Fold join the bridleway and follow it around the short lane and then South as it climbs across pasture. After 600m, the bridleway forks. Take the left branch and follow it as it swings round to the East and descends to join a minor road. Turn right onto the road and follow it South East for 2.4km to Crook.
3. At Crook turn right onto the B5284 then first left onto Dobby Lane, which is followed South West to a T-Junction. Turn left and follow the road South for 400m to a track on the right. Join the track and follow it South West a short distance to a fork. Take the right branch West alongside a wall to a T-Junction on a farm track. Turn left and follow the track South West across pasture (vague) to a bridge after 400m. Go over the bridge and continue South West along the side of the field to join the farm track at the other side. Continue South West along the side of the field to join the farm track at the other side. Continue South West along the track through the dog-leg to the farm at Birk Moss. Follow the bridleway around the farm then South West over a short rise to a T-Junction. Turn left onto the good track and descend South along it to join the Crosthwaite road.
4. At the road turn right and follow it North West for 600m to a bridleway on the left. Take the bridleway and follow it past Crook Foot then North to Thornyfields. At Thornyfields turn left in front of the houses then join the bridleway behind the barn. The bridleway climbs South West to a low col. Follow it over the col and continue South West to join the A5074.
5. Turn right onto the A5074 and follow it North West to Winster. At Winster turn right in front of the pub and follow the minor road as it climbs to a T-Junction. Turn right at the junction and follow it as it climbs North East for 2km to a lane on the left. Join the lane and follow it as it climbs West. The gradient soon eases to give a good run down to a junction with Lindeth Lane. Turn right onto Lindeth Lane and follow it as it winds its way North for 2km to the junction on the B5284.
6. Turn right and follow the B5284 East for 1.1km to a lane on the left - by the side of a tarn. Follow the lane then bridleway North for 2km to a bridge. Cross the bridge and then head North West through the Droomer housing estate - there are numerous routes which lead into Windermere. Once in Windermere follow the one-way system back to the railway station.
Terrain: low wooded fells, roads, minor roads, green lanes, tracks and pasture.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||2 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||275metres (902feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Explorer OL7|
- Windermere and Crook
- Start point: (near Windermere)