Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
Windermere-Winster-Bowland Bridge-Newby Bridge-Sawrey-Bowness-Windermere
1. Carefully turn left out of the railway station and follow the one-way (A5074) system south through Windermere turn left in Broad Street. Follow Broad Street then go right onto Woodland road. Take the next left onto Park Road for 750m to a turning on the L for Lickbarrow Road, (blue cycle sign). Join Lickbarrow Road, follow it for 2.2 km to a junction with the B5284
2. Carefully cross straight ahead and join Lindeth Lane which is followed South to A5074 at Broom Hill. Carefully join the A5074 then turn immediately left and climb Stile Brow for 500m to a turning. Here turn right and descend to the cross roads in Winster. Carefully cross straight ahead and follow the lane south to a junction at Birks Bridge, carry on straight ahead to a T-junction. Turn left, then turn immediately right and follow the lane as it winds south to Smithy Lane at Bowland Bridge.
3. Turn right and follow Smithy Lane south west as it climbs a steep hairpin bend above the Mason's arms at Strawberry bank. Continue heading south west along Smithy Lane as it climbs to a high point on the flanks of Gummers How. Views open out over Windermere towards Newby Bridge. Carefully descend the road as it drops steeply down to the A592 opposite Fell Foot Park. Carefully turn left and follow the A 592 towards Newby Bridge. Just before the roundabout join the cycle track as it crosses right over the A592 and follow it beside the A590 to the turning over the bridge on the right for Lakeside.
4. Cross the narrow bridge taking care of oncoming traffic and follow the road left past the hotel to a junction. Turn right and follow the lane North past Lakeside to a junction at Low Stott Park. Turn right then at the next junction turn right again and follow the road for 3.4 km to a fork just past Graythwaite Hall. Take the left branch and follow the road for 2.7km to a turning (for Sawrey) just after Eel House. Turn right and follow the road to a junction, turn right again and head into Near Sawrey.
5. Turn right and carefully follow the B5285 through the village and head east all the way down to the Windermere Ferry. (Beatrix Potters house Hill Top is just on the right a Near Sawrey after joining the B5285).
6. After catching the ferry over to Ferry Nab follow the road on the other side for 250m Turn L on a cycle-path signed Bowness (from Summer 2013) through Ferry Nab car park. Follow it past the lake warden's offices and across the car park to re-join the cycle track on the other side. Follow it past the Rectory to Glebe Road. Carefully cross Glebe Road and on the other side join Rectory Road, which is followed to the A592. Carefully turn L on to the A592 and follow it to the mini roundabout in Bowness. Here take a left on to the A592 , Rayrigg road and follow it for 1.5km to a turning on the right for Birthwaite Road. Carefully turn on to it and follow it uphill to join the A5074 at a T-Junction. Turn left and follow the one-way system until it is possible to turn right (sign for Kendal). At the junction with the A591 carefully join the filter lane on the right for the railway station. Turn R and enter the station access road to finish.