Patterdale - Bordale Hause - Sandwick - Patterdale
3 - 4 hours
Boredale occupies a rather secretive and isolated position behind Place Fell on the east side of Ullswater. The road, from the north into the dale climbs a tortuous little pass and as this is a cul-de-sac it attracts few people and little traffic. The only other route into Boredale is via a bridleway from Patterdale which crosses the southern ridge of Place Fell at Boredale Hause. Originally this bridleway was the link between the two communities, being the most direct, either mounted or on foot, but as with many other ‘Social Roads’ the advent of motor transport has seen its use diminish. As a mountain bike ride this route is ideal. The bridleway is well-graded throughout its length – although some pushing/carrying will be necessary on the ascent from Patterdale to Boredale Hause. Once Boredale is gained a return trip can be made via the pleasant bridleway which skirts the eastern shores of Ullswater. This bridleway is a popular route for walkers and has many blind corners and summits, so care should be taken. Terrain: Valley, mountain pass, steep sided valley and lake shore.
1. Just S of Patterdale on the A592 a side road crosses Goldrill Beck. Take it and follow it NE then N for 480m to the start of the bridleway to Boredale Hause. The bridleway climbs SE across the flanks of Place Fell to finally swing E as it attains Boredale Hause. This section of the route is the main height gain and although the bridleway is in good order its steep enough to dictate pushing or carrying your bike.
2. Boredale Hause is a broad open col with a number of tracks and paths radiating from it. The bridleway to Boredale heads NE and crosses a low grass bluff - a vague path to start. Once the bridleway crosses the bluff and starts to descend it becomes clearer on the ground. The first section of the descent is through a steep zigzag which can prove quite testing in wet condition; next is a superb terrace which gives a steep but well graded run down into Boredale. The decent leads NE for 1.6km to Boredale Head – a farm.
3. Pass through the farmyard and pick up the valley road. Follow the road for 2km now heading NE, to a junction. At the junction take the L fork and follow it round to Sandwick.
4. From Sandwick join the bridleway on the LH side of the road, which skirts along the shores of Ullswater. This is followed as it works its way across the crags and becks above the lake to Side Farm. Continue past Side Farm to join the lane back to the A592.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||4 out of 5|
|Technicality:||4 out of 5|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Explorer OL5,|
|Toilets:||Main Car Park, Glenridding|
|Refreshments:||Inn on the Lake, Sharrow Bay, Brotherswater Inn|
- Tour of Place Fell
- Start point: NY 441207 (near Ullswater)