Pooley Bridge - Howtown - Askham - Pooley Bridge
3 - 4 hours
Just east of Pooley Bridge at the northern end of Ullswater the moorland and low hills of Moor Divock and Askham Fell is criss-crossed by an extensive network of bridleways. For mountain bikes, the bridleways are a good introduction to real off-roading as the surfaces are not overly-technical and although there are a number of climbs they are not excessively strenuous. The setting is superb amongst low rolling fells and with a classic Lakeland back drop of lake and mountain.
On Moor Divock there are a number of important historical sights including ancient cairns, avenues, burial mounds, settlements, standing stones and of course 'High Street' - the Roman road; all of which are well worth investigating. Be careful not to cause any damage and do not stray from the bridleway with your bike.
1. From the centre of Pooley Bridge take the minor road that leads South East from the church to a cross-roads. Turn right and head South West alongside Ullswater to Howtown. Turn left towards the hotel then join the bridleway which climbs South East then North East to Mellguards.
2. From Mellguards the Moor Divock bridleway climbs steadily North then North East and is followed to a junction of bridleways, marked by a cairn and signpost.
3. At the junction turn right and take the bridleway that descends South East to the minor road at Dewpot Holes. Cross the minor road and join the bridleway on the other side - continue South East along the bridleway and track on the other side. The track becomes a lane and is followed to a junction. At the junction turn left and follow the road North through Helton to Askham.
4. From the junction at the centre Askham turn left and take the lane then bridleway South West to the cairn and signpost at Moor Divock.
5. At the cross-roads of bridleways at Moor Divock turn right and make the fine descent North West back to Pooley Bridge.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||4 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||310metres (1,017feet)|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Explorer OL5|
- Moor Divock and Askham Fell
- Start point: (near Pooley+Bridge)