Milnthorpe is an ancient village with a beautiful church and a market square situated to the south of the Lake District. From 1334 Milnthorpe, was a busy market town and port on the River Bela. Watermills made use of the river and gave the town the first part of its name. The church of St Thomas, overlooking the market square, was built in the 1800's and was the first in the town. It's still a busy little town with the scenic A6 route that leads to Kendal running through it. Nearby attractions include the Heron Corn Mill - the only papermaking museum in the north of England and the natural limestone staircase of Fairy Steps.