Sitting by the Duddon River Estuary with Black Combe Fell on its doorstep, the former fishing village of Millom has a varied history with a rich industrial heritage, founded on iron-ore mining and steel making in the 19th Century. Little evidence remains of that activity today, although it was amongst the largest industrial sites of its type in the world.
With the mining boom the market square was transformed into a showplace for Victorian architecture. The town hall, and other buildings still serve residents. There is also an inn dating from 1745.
At the Tourist Information Centre is the Folk Museum with displays on 20th century Millom poet and resident, Norman Nicholson, who spent his life in the town. Next to the church are the ruins of the 14th century moated, Millom Castle.