Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
"The bow and drill technique is an ancient method of starting fire without matches or a lighter"
Imagine yourself being able to conjure fire from the natural materials that you can find surround you. Using the primitive tools of bow and drill you will amaze yourself, family and friends by making fire from friction.
On this half day course, we'll take a walk through woodland gathering and selecting natural tinder's and kindling. Underneath a tarp, you will learn how to make fire by friction, using a bow and drill - an ancient tool. This technique is an ancient method of starting fire without matches or a lighter. It uses friction to generate heat and the heat eventually produces an ember. Once the ember is formed it is carefully placed into your "tinder bundle", and then nurtured and coaxed into flame by blowing.
We'll also discuss how you would make your own bow drill set, the different components and offer advice on the most suitable wood to use and where to find it.
We provide all specialist equipment and instruction.
Minimum age: 12 years old. All children under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Where: Our bushcraft site at Whinlatter forest, Keswick. Directions and more details on booking.
£30 per person
Also at this Venue
- Canoe the View Derwentwater
- Introduction to Bushcraft
- Overnight Wilderness Canoe Journey
- Middle Derwent River Trip
- 10% off all courses
- Canoe hire on Derwentwater, Keswick
- Private Coaching and Tuition
- Safe Knife Work and Whittling
- Wild Food Prep and Campfire Cooking
- Shelters, Flint and Steel Fire Lighting
- Canoe and Bushcraft Day
- Paddle Carving Workshop
- Nettles, Fire Bread & Wild Rabbit
- Fish and Feather Wild Food Prep & Campfire Cooking
- Children welcome