Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
“Artistically sharp, stunningly situated” – New Statesman
“Combines a spot as idyllic as anywhere on Earth, with first class theatrical entertainment” – Daily Telegraph
Theatre by the Lake has a setting on the shores of Derwentwater no other professional theatre in Britain can match. Each year it stages up to nine of its own productions of classic, modern and new plays on its two stages and has won multi-starred reviews from national critics, as well as having won the UK Theatre Award for the North West’s Most Welcoming Theatre for the past 3 years (2014, 2015 & 2016).
There are lift to all levels and wheelchair users can get to all front-of-house and backstage areas. Both auditoria have enhanced-hearing and induction loop systems. Free wifi is available in both the Theatre building and Café by the Lake.
Tickets can be purchased online on our website, where you can choose your own seat and see views of the stage before you buy. Alternatively, call the Box Office who will be happy to advise you on 017687 74411 – its open from 9.30am to 8pm daily (6pm on non-performance nights).
Our new Café by the Lake building is located between the Theatre and Derwentwater. Lofty, light and airy, its large windows give spectacular views across the lake to Cat Bells and beyond. It's the perfect setting for breakfast, lunch, coffee and cake or a stylish dinner whether you are seeing a show or just stopping by on impulse. It's also welcoming to groups and available to hire for your special occasions.
Alternatively, you can relax and unwind in our Stalls Bar. Located on the ground floor of the theatre it's open from 11am, serving the Café by the Lake menu above for those who are peckish, or just coffee and cake for those on the go.
For table reservations and more information please call 017687 81102 or visit the Food & Drink section of our website.
Please ring for details.
NY 264227 54.59411 -3.14059
From M6 jct 40 and follow A66 towards Keswick, follow brown signs to Theatre and Lakeside. On foot the theatre is a 5 minute walk from the centre of Keswick.
: 24 miles from Penrith station
- Baby changing facilities
- Coach parties accepted
- Credit cards accepted (no fee)
- Disabled toilets
- Facilities for groups
- Facilities for educational visits
- On-site catering
- On-site light refreshments
- Public toilets
- Regional Tourist Board Member
- Telephone (public)
- Wheelchairs available
- Accepts groups
- Facilities for conferencing
- Facilities for corporate hospitality
- Children welcome
- Disabled access
- Dogs not accepted (except guidedogs)
- Smoking not allowed
- Facilities for hearing impaired
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- The surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance:
- is solid
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- The route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift:
- From the entrance to reception / ticket area
- To a specially adapted public toilet suitable for wheelchair users
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Lift equipped with verbal floor announcements
- Lift equipped with raised floor numbers or braille numbers or letters
- Contrast markings on clear surfaces such as glass doors
- Baby changing facilities
- Visitor information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Visitor information available in audio format
- Hearing loop installed in public areas
- Hearing loop system
- Seating available for visitors with limited mobility
- Clear signage
- Good colour/tonal contrast for visually impaired visitors
- Wheelchairs provided
- Routes/pathways suitable for wheelchair users or visitors with limited mobility
- Displays at suitable height for wheelchair users / children
- Audible alarm system
- Visual alarm system
- Entrance is well lit
- Automatic door at the main entrance
- Restaurant / cafe provide meals for visitors with special dietary requirements:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliacs)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Nut free
- Seating suitable for wheelchair users, ie moveable and good height for person sitting in a wheelchair
- High chairs for children
- Children's menu