Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
The middle Derwent river trip offers rapids, stunning scenery and the opportunity to know how to control and manoeuvre your canoe on moving water.
This activity is ideal for families, couples and groups! No experience is required.
This section of the River Derwent lies between Derwentwater and Bassenthwaite Lake. It's approximately 5km long, and a very pleasant grade I/II with plenty of places to learn the necessary basic skills for river running.
The River Derwent meanders its way through agricultural fields, with open views of the fells such as Causey Pike, and Grisedale Pike, interspersed with sheltered tree line bankings overlooked by the massive Skiddaw!
The river is seldom paddled and home to a variety of wildlife. A bird reserve at the southern end of Bassenthwaite Lake is home to even more wildlife, and the forest overlooking the water is the nesting place for our famous osprey.
The top section of the river has some fast moving water to negotiate and if the water levels are right there is also a surfing wave to play on and practice your canoe handling.
£40 per person half day.
Also at this Venue
- Canoe the View Derwentwater
- Introduction to Bushcraft
- Overnight Wilderness Canoe Journey
- 10% off all courses
- Canoe hire on Derwentwater, Keswick
- Private Coaching and Tuition
- Trees, Twigs, Tinder's and Fire by Friction
- Safe Knife Work and Whittling
- Wild Food Prep and Campfire Cooking
- Shelters, Flint and Steel Fire Lighting
- Canoe and Bushcraft Day
- Paddle Carving Workshop
- Nettles, Fire Bread & Wild Rabbit
- Fish and Feather Wild Food Prep & Campfire Cooking
- Children welcome