Keswick - Threlkeld - Glenderaterra Beck - Lonscale Fell - Keswick
2 - 3 hours
Glenderaterra Beck cuts a deep trench that divides the impressive mountains of Skiddaw and Blencathra. Running around the head of the beck along each side is a well-graded bridleway that gives some easy but exposed mountain biking. As a link to form a circular tour from Keswick, the pleasant cycleway that follows the bed of the old Keswick railway can be used. The section along the cycleway is easy and suitable for family rides but the bridleway around Glenderaterra Beck is full-on mountain biking for which you will need some prior experience.
1. From the road by the YHA, head North East and cross the River Greta past Fritz Park to a sharp right turn. Follow the road round the bend for 200m to join the cycleway on the right. Follow the cycleway for 5km East to pick up the minor road into Threlkeld.
2. From the centre of Threlkeld take the minor road to Middle Row and Blencathra Centre as it climbs 1.75km West. Continue on the road above the centre and pick-up the bridleway at the West end of the car park.
3. Follow the bridleway as it climbs easily West then North above the deeply cut valley of Glenderaterra Beck. Near the head of the beck the bridleway swings West, crosses the beck, then climbs steeply to join the Latrigg bridleway.
4. Turn left and follow the narrow course of the Latrigg bridleway South across the crags of the East face of Lonscale Fell. Past the crags the bridleway swings West and provides a good descent to Whit Beck it then swings South and descends to the Latrigg car park.
5. Cross the car park and pick-up the bridleway again which gives a cracking descent South West across the flanks of Latrigg (watch out for others as the bridleway is narrow) and then leads via a bridge over the A66 to join the road at Briar Rigg. Turn left onto the road back to the start of the cycleway near the swimming pool then retrace your start route back to Keswick YHA.
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||4 out of 5|
|OS map:||OS Landranger 90, OS Outdoor Leisure 4 & 5|
- Keswick and Glanderaterra Beck
- Start point: NY 265234 (near Keswick)