Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
Lake District food growers and farmers are passionate about their products, from damsons to rare breed beef and pork, saltmarsh lamb and seafood from the sands of Morecambe Bay. Lakeland eateries are proud to present local food and this route takes in some of the best, rooted in the landscape which produces their ingredients. So enjoy the views and savour the food!
1. From Windermere train station turn left through the village centre. Go straight ahead through the one-way system for 500 meters the left into Ellerthwaite road, (signed cycle route to Ings). Follow signs for cycle route to Ings; First left onto Holly Road, straight ahead at cross roads along Park Road and left into Lickbarrow Road.
2. Alternatively start from Bowness car parks or lake steamer jetties; follow road signs towards Windermere through centre of Bowness. After 1 Km fork right (Thornbarrow Road) After 750m turn right into Park Road and left into Lickbarrow Road. Joining route from Windermere train station.
3. Go straight ahead at the cross roads crossing the main road with caution.
4. Go straight ahead at the angled cross roads, joining A5074 road with caution and straight ahead into Winster. Turn right at angled T junction at the Brown Horse pub.
5. Turn right a the T junction (signed Hartbarrow), follow steep descent and strenuous climb to Hartbarrow. Turn left at oblique T junction (signed Cartmel Fell), then keep left at the fork in the road, (signed Bowland Bridge and Kendal). Descend to Strawberry Bank, joining the main road at a T junction at the Mason's Arms, and continue downhill to Bowland Bridge. Go straight ahead at Bowland Bridge.
6. For an alternative to the strenuous climb turn left and immediately right. After 1.2km join the main route, turning right to visit eateries at Bowland Bridge and Strawberry Bank, (0.4 and 1km distant) or go left to continue the ride.
7. Turn right at T junction with caution on to the A5074 road (signed Kendal and Lancaster), then keep Left/ straight ahead at the next T junction ( signed Crosthwaite and Kendal), passing through Crossthwaite.
8. In Underbarrow, turn left at the T junction ( signed Crook), keeping right at the T junction after 2.5 km
9. Turn right at T junction, with caution, onto B5284 (signed Kendal) and after 0.3km (signed Staveley)
10. Descend into Staveley past the railway station on the L (note stepped access to station if returning to Windermere by train). Turn right at a T junction in the village to reach the Mill Yard, or turn left to return to Windermere on the cycle route alongside the A591.