Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
1. Turn left out of the station and carefully negotiate the junction to join Wildman Street (A6) which is then followed over the river Kent onto Stramongate (A6) Use the cycle track. Initially on the right over the bridge before crossing to the left side. Follow it left into New Road and then just before the next road bridge back across the river Kent use the shared crossing to access the cycle lane on the far side onto Kent Street. Do not cross the river.
2. Follow the cycle path along side the River Kent until opposite the first footbridge it is possible to turn right and head through Abbot Hall Park to join Dowkers Lane. Follow Dowkers Lane straight ahead a short distance to Highgate. Carefully cross straight across Highgate to join Gillingate. Gillingate is followed up hill and round a bend to Brigsteer Road on the left. Join it and follow it as it climbs steadily. It climbs to a high point on Windy How, to the left is a lane to Helsington- it's worth making the short detour along it as the view from the escarpment top by the church is one of the best in the south Lakes!
3. From Windy How carefully follow Brigsteer Road downhill past Brigsteer and on towards Underbarrow. At the T-Junction in Underbarrow turn left and follow lane through to Crossthwaite. Immediately after the bend in Crosthwaite turn R on to Rickettrae Lane and follow it N to a triangle, take the right fork for 2.5kmto a junction. Turn left them immediately right and pass Gilpin Mill to a T-junction overlooking Knipe Tarn.
4. Turn left and then at the next junction turn right and down to the A5074. Ignore the A5074 and carefully negotiate the junction to turn right onto Lindeth lane. Which is followed North all the way to the B5284. Carefully cross straight over the B5284 and join Licklebrow lane on the other side. Follow Licklebrow Lane over the fell to join park road.
5. Turn right onto Park Road and follow it past the park to a crossroads with Woodland Road. Turn right then turn next left and follow Broad street to a junction with Elleray Road (A5074). Carefully turn right and follow the one way system through Windermere until you can turn right onto High Street, (sign for Kendal). Just before the junction with the A591 carefully filter right and turn into the railway station approach to finish the ride.