Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
Search availability for The Old School House and book online
Yarn, United Kingdom
07 April 2017
This is an excellent place to stay. The room was lovely and very comfortable. The breakfast was great value for money with ample choice. I would recommend this B&B and would love to go back again.
The Old School House is a listed property which was started in the Tudor period and finished in the Georgian era. It was the home of the headmaster of the old Grammar school next door which is now a museum. The headmaster was well paid and lived in a grand style and the proportions of the house demonstrate this. In later years, the house was home to 40-50 boys who were being taught at the school. Famous pupils were William Wordsworth, his brother John, and Fletcher Christian to name but a few!
Visitors to the picturesque and largely unspoilt Lake District village of Hawkshead will enjoy all that The Old School House B&B has to offer. Set within the village, we are nevertheless able to offer ample parking within the grounds. This is a huge bonus as visitors to the B&B always appreciate. For many years, the house has been run as a B&B. The current managers took over in February 2015 and have continued the renovation of the house.
Mark and Emma look forward to welcoming you to The Old School House. We aim to ensure you have a relaxing break whether you are walkers, cyclists or simply happy to enjoy this wonderful landscape. Our guests all appreciate wandering around this beautiful village with its cobbled streets, coffee shops, pubs and specialist shops many of which sell products made locally.
A garage where bicycles/motorbikes can be left securely is available.
Children welcome from any age.
SD 352980 54.37337 -2.99899
By car: Hawkshead is on the B5286. From any direction, the road leads to a turning opposite the campsite which says Hawkshead village. Just past the pay and display car park, a junction in the road bends towards the right. However, straight opposite, there is a gateway into the drive of the Old Grammar school museum. Turn left in front of the museum building, and down a narrow lane. At the end of the lane (less than 50 yards), turn left and park alongside the Old School House. Alternatively, in front of the house, there is a five barred gate which also leads in the car parking area.
Train: The nearest station is Windermere (8 miles). There are taxis outside the station.
Bus: There are Stagecoach buses which run all year round. The local service is the 505 between Ambleside and Coniston via Hawkshead. This service goes to the Coniston lake launch which is fully accessible. Another bus is the Cross Lakes Shuttle' 525 between Bowness and Grizedale via Hawkshead.
- Children welcome
- Satellite TV
- Ironing facilities
- Snacks/afternoon tea
- Private parking
- Building of historical interest
- Central heating
- WiFi or internet access
- DVD player
- CD player
- Real log/coal fires
Children welcome from any age.
Self-Assessed Accessibility Details
- Designated parking for guests with disabilities
- Within 50 metres approx. of entrance
- Surface of the car park and pathway leading to entrance is
- Drop-off point for guests outside entrance
- Route from the parking area to the entrance:
- Is flat (i.e. without steps)
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift to:
- Entrance to reception
- Good contrast between the floor and wall
- Guest information available in large print (14pt and over)
- Bedroom furniture can be re-arranged if requested by guest
- Bedroom with non-allergenic bedding available
- Steps to the main entrance
- 1Number of steps to entrance
- Entrance well lit
- Bell at main entrance
- Level access (no steps/thresholds) or access by ramp or lift
- Good contrast between the floor and walls
- Menus available in large print (14pt and over)
- Meals for guests with special dietary requirements can be provided:
- Sugar free (diabetic)
- Gluten free (coeliac)
- Lactose free (dairy free)
- Low potassium
- Low sodium
- Nut free
- Additive free