Grasmere - Ambleside
3 - 4 hours
The final day is a touristy ramble. In an area famous for its connections with Wordsworth, Coleridge and De Quincey it's easy to see what fired their imaginations with a walk through the trees and by the flashing waters of Grasmere and Rydal Water. It is the perfect way to chill out and put into perspective the sights so far.
Before setting off please make sure you plot the suggested route on OS maps and pack a compass. They are essential for a safe, enjoyable day in the hills!
1. Walk down the A591 for 600m to a turning on the right into Grasmere.The Heaton Cooper studio is by the village green. Take the road by the right of the green to Sarah Nelson's Ginger Bread shop and St Oswald's Church. A path leads round the graveyard to the Wordsworth graves. Re-join the B5287 and follow it out of the village to the A591.
2. Carefully cross the A591 and join the lane leading to Dove Cottage. Continue to a junction at How Top at the edge of Whitemoss Common; a favourite place of Dorothy Wordsworth with stunning views.
3. Leave the lane, turn left onto the Whitemoss Common track and follow it for 350m to turn right onto a bridleway. Cross the A591, follow the path on the other side to cross a footbridge. Turn left and follow the path through the trees to join Loughrigg Terrace bridleway. Follow it east alongside Rydal Water.
4. Just before the end of Rydal Water take the path left from the bridleway. Cross the bridge then the A591 to reach the Badger Bar for lunch and a satisfying pint of real ale from Jennings.
5. Walk east along the A591 to the Rydal turning on the left. Follow the lane to Rydal Mount.
6. Take the footpath around the back of Rydal Hall and follow it through Rydal Park. By Scandale Bridge join the A591 back to Ambleside!
7. Enter the Queens Hotel and your adventure is complete. Reward yourself with a final pint of Jennings Bitter and enjoy the true taste of the Lake District. Be warned though its moreish taste makes it an ideal session beer!
|Time/Effort:||2 out of 5|
|Navigation:||1 out of 5|
|Technicality:||1 out of 5|
|Height gain/loss (metres):||230metres (755feet)|
|OS map:||OS Explorer OL6 & OL7, Landranger 90|
- Start point: NY 335089 (near Grasmere)
- End point: NY 375044