Coniston - Troutbeck - Kirkstone Pass - Matterdale End Summit - Keswick
Covering 112 miles, and the most famous passes of the Lake District, the 4 Seasons Fred Whitton Bike Tour follows the annual sportive route but can be completed 365 days a year at your own pace. It's a fantastic opportunity for individuals, groups and clubs to complete one of the most challenging cycling routes in the country, over one or more days, and to get an official finish time on the Fred Whitton website.
Visit www.golakes.co.uk/4seasonsfred to download the map and route details
1. Start from Hill's Garage in Coniston, turn right, and go over the bridge and straight on past the Yewdale Hotel and the TIC. Take the B5285 and go up Hawkshead Hill, then turn left at the top of climb (signposted Ambleside). Go straight on at the Drunken Duck and turn left at the bottom of the hill (signposted Ambleside). Turn right at the A593 (signposted Ambleside) and right again 100m after the bridge (signposted Windermere A591). Go straight on at the Waterhead Traffic Lights and turn left up Holbeck Lane (towards Troutbeck). At Troutbeck Village keep going straight ahead and then turn left onto the A592 Kirkstone Road to Kirkstone Pass Summit (454m).
2. From the Kirkstone Pass Inn continue along the pass through Patterdale and turn left onto A5091 to Matterdale End . Go through Dockray and over Matterdale End Summit (343m), at Troutbeck (North) turn left onto the A66 to Keswick. Ignore the 1st left into Keswick as this leads to a one way system, instead turn left at the large roundabout (signposted Keswick). Turn left again at the T-Junction (signposted Borrowdale B5289) then turn right at the mini roundabout (B5289 to Borrowdale) and take the B5289 along the side of Derwentwater. Pass through Rosthwaite Village and Seatoller to Honister Pass Summit (356m).
3. From Buttermere YHA take the 1st right towards Keswick to Newlands Pass Summit (333m). Turn left at Braithwaite onto the B5292 and head up to the summit of Whinlatter Pass (318m). Take the 3rd left through Lorton and left onto the B5289 to Loweswater, then left again (signposted Ennerdale). Turn left (signposted Ennerdale and Croasdale), then right towards Ennerdale Bridge. Turn left towards Whitehaven and left again towards Calder Bridge and on to Cold Fell Summit (290m). Pass Calder Bridge Village Hall and turn left onto the A595 to Gosforth.
4. Turn left into Gosforth, then right, leaving Gosforth for Santon Bridge. Continue to Irton Pike Summit and onto Eskdale Green. Turn left at King George IV and past Boot Village up to the summit of Hardknott Pass (393m). This is the steepest hill in England with gradients of 1 in 4 and less so be prepared! Pushing is allowed! Continue onto the Wrynose Pass Summit (393m) and through Fell Foot and Little Langdale. Turn right at the T-Junction towards Coniston and right again onto the A593 to Coniston. On entering Coniston head back to Hills Garage to complete the challenge!
|Time/Effort:||5 out of 5|
|Navigation:||3 out of 5|
|Technicality:||3 out of 5|
- Start point: SD 303975 (near Coniston)