Search and Shortlist
Add to shortlist button.
Covering 112 miles, and the most famous passes of the Lake District, the 4 Seasons Fred Whitton Bike Tour follows the annual sportive route but can be completed 365 days a year at your own pace. It's a fantastic opportunity for individuals, groups and clubs to complete one of the most challenging cycling routes in the country, over one or more days, and to get an official finish time on the Fred Whitton website.
Visit www.golakes.co.uk/4seasonsfred to download the map and route
Coniston - Troutbeck - Kirkstone Pass - Dockray
1. Start from Hill's Garage in Coniston, turn right, and go over the bridge and straight on past the Yewdale Hotel and the TIC.
2. Take the B5285 and go up Hawkshead Hill, then turn left at the top of climb (signposted Ambleside).
3. Go straight on at the Drunken Duck and turn left at the bottom of the hill (signposted Ambleside).
4. Turn right at the A593 (signposted Ambleside) and right again 100m after the bridge (signposted Windermere A591).
5. Go straight on at the Waterhead Traffic Lights and turn left up Holbeck Lane (towards Troutbeck).
6. At Troutbeck Village keep going straight ahead and then turn left onto the A592 Kirkstone Road to the Kirkstone Pass Summit.
7. From the Kirkstone Pass Inn continue along the pass through Patterdale and turn left onto A5091 to Matterdale End and Dockray.
8. This area would make an idea rest point before you tackle Matterdale End Summit.